Recruiting Associates has been retained by a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our client's staff includes experts in Health, Education, Nutrition, Environment, Economic Development, Civil Society, Gender, Youth, Research and Technology; creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. Our client serves more than 60 countries, all 50 U.S. states and all U.S. territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Technical Advisor - Early Grade Reading.
The Technical Advisor, Early Grade Reading will provide technical leadership in the area of reading and writing skills development in primary schools, based on the latest international evidence base for what works best, particularly in low-resource contexts. The Technical Advisor in Reading will be in charge of directing the design and implementation of reading curricula (scope and sequence) and teaching and learning materials for reading in Grades 1 to 4, in 3 Congolese languages and French, all using evidence-based approaches to mastering fundamental early reading skills. The core materials to develop (and/or adapt) include teachers’ guides with scripted lessons, student manuals, student reading texts, and supplementary materials. The Technical Advisor in Reading will also provide technical leadership for the development of reading-related programming and materials for teacher training, coaching and community support. The Technical Advisor in Reading will lead a large team of material developers comprising both project staff and ministerial technicians, and in general will collaborate closely with government officials, donors and other stakeholders. The Technical Advisor must be well-versed in international evidence-based approaches to learning reading, particularly using phonics and systematic, structured, and explicit instruction.
Job Summary / Responsibilities:
- Provide technical leadership in design, development, implementation and evaluation of a reading program;
- Manage technical staff working on materials development;
- Oversee improvement of teacher professional development focused on early grade reading;
- Support efforts aimed at building community and parent engagement for reading;
- Provide quality assurance for the implementation of teacher training;
- Build collaborative relationships with governmental agencies, donor/client organizations and other NGOs to enhance quality and effectiveness of the project materials;
- Provide leadership on capacity-building efforts for stakeholder groups;
- Review, analyze and evaluate the effectiveness of literacy related activities and makes recommendations for improvement to meet project goals.
- Master’s degree or higher in one of the following fields: in reading education, curriculum and instruction, or elementary teacher education, or education with a reading focus;
- Working knowledge of linguistics and instructional design for reading acquisition;
- At least 5 years of demonstrated relevant technical expertise, with substantial developing country experience;
- Demonstrated knowledge of international evidence-based approaches to learning reading using phonics and systematic, structured, and explicit instruction required, experience using these approaches in instructional design or direct instruction strongly preferred.
- Experience and expertise in overseeing the design of instructional materials for large-scale education programs required;
- Experience teaching in primary schools strongly preferred;
- Demonstrated technical expertise with literacy assessment, teaching and learning materials;
- At least three years of demonstrated excellence in a management position, preferably including direct supervision of professional and support staff, and quality evaluation of staff performance and deliverables is preferred;
- Ability to organize and conduct training and technical workshops related to literacy is preferred;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in French are required. Good English oral and written communication skills are preferred